It’s Day 217 of “365 Things to do in Cincinnati” and today we visited the Taft Museum of Art. We went there tonight for the opening of their new exhibit “Antique Christmas”
The Taft Museum of Art is located downtown. It sits beside Lytle Park and below Mt. Adams. “The Taft Museum was home to Anna Taft and Charles Phelps Taft from 1873 until their respective deaths in 1931 and 1929. In 1908, Charles Phelps Taft’s half-brother, William Howard Taft accepted the nomination for U. S. president underneath the house’s portico. The Tafts bequeathed their historic home and private collection of 690 works of art to the people of Cincinnati in 1927. After extensive remodeling and updating, the Baum-Longworth-Taft House opened as the Taft Museum in 1932.” (from the Taft website).
The Taft Museum is unlike any museum I’ve been in. It has meandering halls and one room leads to another. It was, after all, an actual house and it’s easy to see when you look at the layout. But they have done an incredible job of making the rooms flow into one another, both with decor and artwork.
The Antique Christmas Exhibit is interspersed all throughout the museum. Many of the rooms have a Christmas item or two on display.
The dollhouse above was remarkable. It had all kinds of tiny dolls and figures. Bird cages hung from a string and wallpaper adorned the walls.
The Christmas decorations adorn the entire museum. The colors used in the museum real play off the Christmas decor – lots of greens and reds.
And of course there’s artwork too! To think that the art in this museum was once a private collection is mind blowing!
And you might recognize this guy…
William Howard Taft was the younger half-brother to Charles Taft. W.H. Taft accepted the nomination for the U.S. presidency from this house’s portico in 1908.
The Antique Christmas Exhibit runs from November 5, 2010 to January 9, 2011.
The Taft Museum does charge for admission (for those over 18) each day except for Sunday (Sundays are free)
They are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays
The Taft Museum is fully accessible to visitors with mobility impairment