A new and unique camping experience has arrived for the summer! Make some memories when you stay in one of three authentic covered wagons at Horse Cave KOA in Kentucky.
Horse Cave KOA offers overnight stays in Covered Wagons
Horse Cave KOA (located close to Mammoth Cave) recently added three covered wagons to their campground mix. For those who want to add some adventure to their camping experience, these unusual overnight accommodations will fit the bill!
These Conestoga Wagons are not the old covered wagons of the Oregon Trail! You’ll rough it in style with a king sized bed and 2 twins as bunks (all come with linens). You’ll have two chairs with a side table – perfect for some game play or a snack. “Modern conveniences” like electric, heat, and air are all included.
Wait… is this camping or glamping? I think you could probably consider this a glamping experience – camping with a side of glamour!
The covered wagon rentals are new and were just made a few years ago. Don’t delay in making your reservations as I’m sure these are popular!
What are the specs on the Covered Wagons?
- The Conestoga Wagons are rented out on a nightly basis and you can, of course, choose multiple days.
- A wagon sleeps up to four people – 2 adults and two children (1 bunk bed and 1 king bed).
- Bed linens are provided.
- The wagons have both heat and air conditioning.
- They do have electric.
- The wagon comes with a microwave and a mini-fridge.
- The wagons do not have a bathroom but they are located across from the bathhouse.
- The covered wagons come with 6 chairs – four are outside and two are inside.
If a stay in a covered wagon just isn’t your thing, they do have cabins for rent and spots for RV camping.
Things to Know About Kentucky’s Horse Cave KOA:
- They are on Central Time.
- There is a camp store and it’s open 8am-8pm.
- You can not bring in your own firewood (due to Emerald Ash Borer). They do sell it on site.
- Laundry facilities are available.
- Quiet time at the park is 10pm.
- Wifi is available at the campground.
- They have a new bath house (as of 2020). It is a ten unit bath house with two units having a tub (for little ones).
What Can We Do for Fun at the campground?
- There is a pool and it’s open 8am-8pm, Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- They have a pond and they do allow fishing. They do not furnish poles; you can bring your own. Poles and bait are available for purchase at the camp store. Per Horse Cave KOA, no license is required. It is catch and release.
- There are two playgrounds on the premises.
- There’s a Mini Golf course at the entrance.
What is There to Do in the Surrounding Area?
Horse Cave KOA is close to Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky Down Under Adventure Zoo, Hidden River Cave / American Cave Museum, Hidden River Cave Zipline and Rappel, Big Buffalo Crossing and Kayak, and more.
Get all the details about Horse Cave KOA here.
Look for more info on The Conestoga Wagon rentals here (scroll to the bottom of the page)
You’ll find Horse Cave KOA at: 489 Flint Ridge Road, Horse Cave, KY 42749
Call the campground: 270-786-2819
For reservations: 800-562-2809